Sunday, March 29, 2009

High Intensity Interval Training

Pros: 
-huge effect on fitness, fat loss and overall health. I'm much better at sprinting to catch buses now.
-you can use any equipment/cardio exercise you want.
-it's over quite quickly.
Cons:
-ugh boring. it's a pro that it's much LESS boring than long sessions of low-medium intensity cardio, but I never really bothered with that anyway so I can't compare.
-need a heart rate monitor to do it properly. Now, I do have a heart rate monitor which I got for $NZ50 ($US28) at a camping store's 50% off sale. it is... not the best. I realised this when I opened up the instructions and it said 'attach the transmitter beneath the pectoral muscle' and had no alternative for people with boobs. after practising with about a hundred different positions I find it works best with the electrodes at the back just beneath the shoulder blades, but even now it only works 50% of the time - perhaps this explains its discounted price.
-if you do it when you're hungry, you feel faint; if you do it after a meal, you feel sick. I find it alright because I am a slack student and have very little to do with my days, but scheduling it would make it troublesome for some people.

2 comments:

  1. To help with the faintness before the cardio session, you should be having something LIQUID about 45 minutes to an hour before you workout. What I mean by liquid is something with about 15g or protein and about 20-30 grams of carbs. In simplest form, half a scoop of whey protein mixed with a cup and a half of real fruit juice works the best.

    You definitely don't want to be eating solid food an hour before the interval training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Rylan, that's very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete